2 lb. sweet potatoes
1 small onion, finely diced
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. flour or matzoh meal
~ vegetable oil
~ sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Shred sweet potatoes in a food processor or by hand and place in a large bowl. Add onions, eggs and flour (or matzoh meal). Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat about ½ inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Oil is ready when a sweet potato piece sizzles in the pan.
- Stir mixture again to incorporate the starch settled in the bottom of the bowl. To shape latkes, take a 3-4 tablespoon amount of the mixture, squeeze excess liquid out and shape into pancake. Fry pancakes until well-browned. Remove from oil when done and set on paper towels to drain. Place latkes in preheated oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining pancakes. Serve with sour cream and applesauce.
- If reheating latkes, set in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in a 450 degree oven. Heat until hot, 10-15 minutes. Turn latkes several times while in oven.