1 lb. meat (lamb, chicken or beef) cubed
1 lb. (approx) firm tomatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, cut into thick squares
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or oregano, chopped
~ salt and pepper, to taste
~ paprika (optional), to taste
- Mix together oil, garlic and herbs. Set aside.
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 10 minutes. Heat grill. If using a charcoal grill, place grill about 4 inches from heat source.
- Thread vegetables and meat alternately on skewers. Leave a little space between pieces. Brush skewers with oil mixture and season with salt, pepper and optional paprika to taste. Set aside while grill heats up.
- Place kebabs on grill when the grill is hot. Brush them with a little more olive oil as they cook. Turn kebabs a few times and cook until they are brown on all sides and meat is tender, about 10 or 15 minutes.
- Remove skewers from grill and place on a platter. Cover with a foil tent, let the skewers rest for about 5 minutes then serve.
Note: Looking for a vegetarian/vegan option? Use cubes of tempeh instead of meat.