4 cups of fresh blackberries (2-3 pints)
2 teaspoons lemon juice (add some zest, if you like more lemony flavor)
¾ cup sugar; depending on the sweetness of berries, or to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk (whole, 2%, hemp or soy) room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Put berries in an ungreased 5- to 5-cup casserole, gratin dish, deep dish or ceramic pie plate and sprinkle evenly with about ½ cup of the sugar.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add milk and melted butter and whisk until smooth, then pour over berries (don’t worry if berries are not completely covered).
- Bake slump in middle of oven until top is golden, 35-45 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and cool 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Thanks to Martie Sucec
Note: Other berries such as raspberries or blueberries can be substituted for blackberries.