Looking back, Looking ahead
On behalf of the board, staff, and vendors of the Hillsdale Farmers' Market, I wish you all a good year ahead.
We are grateful for your past and continued support of the market. Here are a few of the year's highlights:
- We conducted 40 market sessions with 54 vendors participating throughout the year.
- We handed out 450 4-packs of vegetable starts on Opening Day.
- We hosted the Master Gardener program for the 4th year, providing gardening advice and resources for 29 market sessions.
- We conducted 25 Feed Me Fresh Cooking seasonal cooking and preserving demonstrations for over 500 attendees.
- Last but not least, we held our first Urban Fair in October with 23 entrants in the Preserves Showcase and over 250 attendees watching and participating in the demonstrations held throughout the day.
We could not have successfully held these activities without the help of over 40 volunteers putting in over 1,000 hours and the generous in-kind donations of the farmers and vendors at the market. We particularly want to thank New Seasons Market and Salvador Molly's for their generous donations in 2014. We also want to thank the Hillsdale Branch of the Multnomah County Library for helping out at several events and Portland Public Schools for letting us use the Rieke-Wilson parking lot for the past 10 years.
We are excited about the coming year. Event planning for the new market year has begun. Look for a bigger and better Tomato Mania and Urban Fair this coming year as well as a new season of cooking demonstrations. We can always use a few extra hands at events and special market The first 2015 market session is on January 11, 2015. We begin our new winter hours on that day, running 10am-1pm. We will close at 1pm through April, returning to a 2pm close in May. The market dates through April are: January 11 and 25, February 8 and 22, March 8 and 22, April 12 and 27.
We can always use a few extra hands at special events and on any market day. Volunteering is an all-ages activity. Our youngest volunteer was 6 when he started and we have several volunteers over 80. Want to know more? Contact Sarah West at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your support in 2014. We look forward to seeing you on January 11th.